Pekka Rinne's mask. Copyright Dave Art via I love Goalies
While the hockey world goes into a free agency frenzy, I’m floating in the pool researching the remaining NHL goalie masks for my 2011-12 rankings. If you missed the first 15 teams, click here. It’s not that I’m not interested in the Parise or Suter rumors, I’m just a roll with the punches (or trades) kinda girl. Plus, art and poolside go together better than salary caps and poolside.
Why the obsession with tendy art? I love tattoos and creating art for your mask is a similar venture. It represents you. It’s an artistic reflection of your personality, and in this case, your game. And I’m a previous art major nerd.
Thanks again to I Love Goalies and InGoal Magazine for their great articles and pictures. Let’s pick up where we left off.. (click on the header for photos and details)
Nashville Predators: Pekka Rinne by David Gunnarsson, Score: 5
The art, colors, and Predator theme are awesomely rolled into one killer (no pun intended) mask. It does help it is on Vezina Trophy nominee, Mr. Rinne.
New Jersey Devils: Martin Brodeur by Sylvie Poitras, Score 3
Usually less is more in my book, but Marty’s art leaves me longing for a bit more. I can appreciate it more when I see detailed photos, but a great mask should look great from the crowd and on TV. Read more
A man amongst boys, Nathan Gerbe. Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America
Who is the shortest goalie in the league? Captain? Team? Don’t know?! Well, I’m gonna tell you…
On this St. Patrick’s Day, let’s raise our green beer and toast the NHL’s most vertically challenged. These players prove size truly doesn’t matter, so don’t go thinking I’m disrespecting the boys. Just drink your Guinness and check out the below fun facts. To be considered a shorty, the guys have to be under 5’11”.
Overall Shortest Team:
- Nashville claims the most guys at 5’10” or under for the Western Conference with five. Francis Bouillon takes the title at 5’8”.
- The Buffalo Sabres take the littlest cake in the East with four players meeting the above criteria. Philadelphia also has four, but Nathan Gerbe’s 5’5” stature seals Buffalo’s fate in the Eastern Conference. Read more
Red hot Ilya Bryzgalov (Photo Credit: Christopher Pasatieri - Getty Images)
The NHL will host eight games Thursday evening and here’s a quick and interesting look at each matchup based on some fun numbers.
Avalanche vs Devils (7pm EST)
- These 2 teams will be meeting for the 2nd and final time this season.
- New Jersey has played in 2 less games than Colorado (70-72), but have 2 more victories this season than the Avalanche (40-38).
- Colorado’s Steve Downie, Milan Hejduk, and Kyle Quincey (2 helpers) each have 2 points in the previous contest. Ryan O’Reilly is the only Avs’ player to boast more with three points. Read more